Sedation Dentist King George, VA
If you need to have dental work completed, we recommend visiting a sedation dentist. At Richard Cottrell, DDS & Associates, we offer sedation dentistry for patients living in and around the King George area. We understand that for millions of adults, visiting the dentist can be an overwhelming or frightening experience due to dental anxiety. This common condition typically starts with a negative experience or becoming fearful of the general idea of dentistry. While common, you do not have to be concerned about visiting our dentist office because we work to ensure your comfort the entire time.
What You Need to Know About Sedation Dentistry
When you schedule an appointment with us, let us know if you have dental anxiety so that we can prepare for your visit accordingly. For many people, the actual procedure is not uncomfortable but it is the anxiety and worry that causes angst. With this in mind, we often prescribe an oral sedative or laughing gas that can be administered prior to the appointment to help a person relax. While this is not a pain killer, it eases the fear and relaxes the body so that you can remain peaceful while having teeth cleaned, or dental work performed. While the dosage is different, laughing gas can be used on both children and adults so that all of our King George patients can remain comfortable.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
There are various levels and types of sedation. During your consultation, we will discuss the recommended procedure with you along with any anxieties you may have. At that time, a recommendation will be made for the type of sedation you may want to consider. The ultimate decision is up to you based on how you believe you will handle the procedure. In many cases, our patients simply need to relax and prefer to use laughing gas in order to do so. It is quick, effective, and wears off when the procedure is finished without impairing any other bodily functions. Some patients use this to relax when getting their teeth cleaned since there is no actual pain associated with the treatment.
Many people cope with dental anxiety but it should not keep you from your visits with our dentists. To help you relax before your visit, Dr. Richard Cottrell and associates offer oral conscious sedation in King George, Virginia. If you are interested in this option you will need to speak with our team prior to your visit. Call 540-808-1303 for more information.
Check out what others are saying about our sedation dental services on Yelp: Sedation Dentist King George
If you live in the King George area and are interested in visiting a sedation dentist, call (540) 808-1303 to schedule your appointment. At Richard Cottrell, DDS & Associates, we will take the time to get to know you and understand what all of your concerns are prior to making a formal recommendation as to the type of sedation dentistry that you should consider. We will also need to know if you have any other health issues, risks, or are allergic to anything. Typically, if you have responded well to pain medication or sedation in other medical treatments, you will do well with sedation dentistry and not experience any negative side effects. Still, if you have questions or concerns be sure to discuss them with us. With any type of dental work, it is important to be well informed and make a decision that you feel is best for your health and your goals. As such, we want you to be an informed and educated patient. Thanks to modern technology, if you are afraid of having dental work done or visiting the dentist in general, you no longer have to be. As a sedation dentist, we can ensure that your experience is a positive one. Call 540-808-1303 for more information or to get started.
If you live in the King George area, call (540) 808-1303 to schedule your dental exam so that you can remain in good health or receive treatment for a current condition.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Sedation Dentist
Wondering whether a family dentist can see adults? Some dentists only treat certain ages, which means they only treat children or they only treat adults. Family dentists are dental professionals who can treat patients of a wide range of ages.Looking for a new family dentist in King George? When someone is in need of a…
Dental ridge preservation is a way to preserve the socket after a missing tooth develops. Dental implants require adequate bone support, and bone loss can occur after losing a tooth if the bone density is not preserved. This review offers insights into the purpose of dental ridge preservation as it relates to dental implants treatment. Ridge…
If you have been embarrassed by your smile, then you may be considering orthodontics treatment. There are many orthodontic solutions out there today to help you get the smile of your dreams. No matter what your age is, there are a few tips for choosing the right treatment. Knowing more about orthodontic treatment will help…
Wondering how to treat your sleep apnea? This sleep disorder causes you to stop breathing during the night, which is caused by either your tongue or excess tissues blocking the back of your throat. Common signs associated with this condition include snoring, headaches, a dry throat, grinding or clenching teeth, mood swings, feeling tired and…